Saturday 1 January 2011

Lake Como - Cooking Class, Varenna

On a lovely day in August I joined a cooking class in Varenna, one of the gorgeous villages in Lake Como.  Moreno's daughter picked me and an American couple up in the town square (just near my hotel which was handy) and drove us up the windy hill giving us beautiful views of the Lake and surrounding mountains.  The restaurant is set high within the hillside and during the break we got to wander around and admire the views.

View from outside the restaurant
Moreno is the chef who has been holding cooking classes for about 10 years.  When I was there we had 7 people participating so it was quite a nice intimate class size from various parts of the globe (Australian, American and Norwegian).  Everyone else were part of a couple, however, I wouldn't discourage singles heading along as everyone is welcoming, ready to learn and in holiday mode! So much so that five us all joined up to explore Varenna later in the day and for dinner.

The class ready to learn (and eat!)
Moreno in action
Three different pasta dishes were made including a northern Italian dish, large flat pasta dish and a risotto.  The dishes Moreno demonstrates change so I plan to go back next time I visit Lake Como.  The cooking class is demonstration based and you get to enjoy wine and antipasti while you watch (included in the price).  However, Moreno does encourage people to come up and help with different part of the process including the pasta making.

 

There are the three dishes we made - all very tasty but too filling to finish all three dishes! I think I will take a tupperware container next time I visit so that I can enjoy the dishes later and not feel like I'm wasting the food Moreno has spent so much time preparing! Here are the fruits of 'our' labour...



I would highly recommend doing this cooking class. It is extremely well priced (35 euros in 2010 but worth a lot more than this) and is a fun 4-5 hours.  I will be back there in a few months and this time round my parents will be joining me after talking it up so much!

Details:
Email Moreno to book in a class (held on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday)

info@ilcaminettoonline.com

I would recommend booking well ahead of your trip to secure your space as it is a great experience that was a highlight on my trip to Lake Como.  I didn't have time to visit the restaurant for dinner at the time but think I will add to the itinerary next visit.

Ciao and buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment