Saturday 8 March 2014

Once a year on the Tiwi Islands, Art Sale and Football Grand Final

Each year the aussie rules Tiwi Island football grand final is held in March and coincides with the Tiwi Island art sale. It is the only day of the year that a visitor does not need to buy a permit when visiting the island.

This year it is to be held on 16 March 2014. I recommend anyone up in the Top End to make the trip across by boat or plane from Darwin to enjoy the day. The island offers a lot of history from the people that live there, missionary Churches, relics of the bombing of the Northern Territory in WW2 and the role that the Islanders played in trying to warn the mainland of the impending attack. Fascinating history that is not well known! 

A few photos of the day are below.
A painting of baby Jesus in the Church
Visitors from Melville Island - rushing to get a spot after the grand final had finished


Some beautifully painted buildings on Bathurst Island
Artwork for sale - tourists looking through the art


Make sure you watch the football match (no boots worn by the players and quite a few dogs running on the oval to get into the action!) and head to the art galleries to buy some artwork. The prices are very reasonable and it is a lovely opportunity to meet the artist (not all of the artists are there on the day). I was lucky enough to meet the talented artist of the artwork I choose and even got a photo!

A beautiful piece to add to my collection


Screen printed material sold by the metre -  I wish I had now bought some!
Some tips from the day:

Planes and boats book up quite quickly so I would recommend booking early. I took the boat and it was a fun way to get there. I would recommend it over the plane as there was space to put my artwork on the ride back and I just wonder where I would've put them on the tiny plane!

Pack some snacks and an umbrella.

You might find that you won't get to watch all the football match (depending on when the boat arrives and departs) so make sure you leave enough time to visit the art sale and walk around the island.

No comments:

Post a Comment